Step I Greetings and lead in（问候以及导入）1. Happy new year!
T: Well, I am so happy to see you again after the long vacation. I wish everyone of you had a happy holiday. So how about your holiday? Had you done some travel? 2. Learn some s about “dragon”（学习一些关于中国龙的习语、成语） T: This year is the year of dragon, so we will play a guessing game. I will show the English s and you try to guess the Chinese s, "long" included.
Step II Revision（复习）
1. Dear, how many words can you still remember after a month's winter holiday?
2. 2. How many phrases can you still remember?
3. 3. Do you still remember the grammar very closely?
There is no shortcut in the science road ,only be deligent.在科学上没有平坦的大道,只有不畏劳苦沿着陡峭山路攀登的人,才有希望达到光辉的顶点。”（马克思）
You never know what you can till you try.
A good beginning is half done.
Unit 16 Lesson 63
Hello, everyone. Today I’m very pleased to have an opportunity to talk about some of my teaching ideas. My topic is life in the oceans taken from Lesson 63 of Unit 16 in SEFC（2）. It is made up of four parts.
Part 1 My understanding of this lesson
The analysis of the teaching material:
This lesson is a reading passage. It plays a very important part in the English teaching of this unit. Lesson 62 and Lesson 63 are a whole unit. By studying Lesson 63, Ss can improve their reading ability, learn more about the sea and the life in the oceans. At the same time, we should get the students to understand some difficult sentences to comprehend the passage better. The Ss should do some listening, speaking and writing, too. Of course, the Ss should receive some moral education. Let the Ss understand the sea better, love the sea and save the sea and the life of the sea.
1. Knowledge aim: Understand the main idea of the text.
2. Ability aim: Retell the text in their own words.
3. Emotional aim: Make the Ss love the life of the sea and do something to stop it being polluted.
Key points / Teaching important points:
How to understand the text better.
Teaching difficult points:
1. Use your own words to retell the text.
2. Discuss the pollution of the sea and how to save the sea.
Something about the Ss:
1. The Ss have known something about the sea and sea life through the Internet and other ways.
2. They are lack of vocabulary.
3. They don’t often use English to express themselves and communicate with others.
4. Some Ss are not active in the class because they are afraid of making mistakes.
Part 2 My teaching theories, methods and aids
Before dealing with this lesson, I’ll do my best to carry out the following theories: Make the Ss the real masters in class while the teacher himself acts as director； Combine the language structures with the language functions; Let the students receive some moral education while they are learning the English language.
Double activities teaching method
Question-and-answer activity teaching method
Free discussion method
Pair work or individual work method
1. a projector
2. a tape recorder
4. the blackboard
Part 3. Teaching steps / procedures
I have designed the following steps to train their ability of listening, speaking, reading and writing, especially reading ability.
The entire steps are:
Greetings, Revision, Lead-in and preparation for reading, Fast reading（scanning）, Listening, Intensive reading, Preparation for details of the text, Consolidation, Discussion, Homework
Step 1 Greetings
Greet the whole class as usual.
Step 2. Revision
1. Ask students some questions to revise the last lesson（show them on the screen）.
a. How much salt do the oceans contain per thousand parts of water?（35 parts of salt. 3.5% by weight）
b. What is coral? Why are corals not found in deep water?
c. Why is the Dead Sea called the Dead Sea?
2. Check the homework（made a survey about the sea or sea life by surfing the Internet or asking for help from other people）. Through this part we can consolidate what they studied yesterday, communicate with others about their survery results and prepare for the new lesson.
Step 3. Lead-in and preparation for reading
Show them some pictures and let them talk each other, and then use the pictures about sea and life in the oceans to learn new words, for example, Antarctica, huge whale, sperm whale, squid and so on.
Purpose: Arouse the students’ interest of study.
Bring in new subject: Life in the oceans.
Step 4. Fast reading
Read the passage as quickly as they can. I show the questions on the screen and let them get the main idea of each paragraph:
1. Why can living things live in such oceans around the Antarctica?
2. What does the whale feed on?
3. What is the difference between the sperm whale and other whales?
Method: Read the text individually, use question—and—answer activity.
Purpose: Improve the students’ reading ability.
Understand the general idea of each paragraph.
Step 5. Listening（book closed）
1. Listen to the tape then do an exercise（wb page 90, part 1）
2. True or false exercise.（on the screen）
Train the Ss’ listening ability and prepare for later exercises.
Step 6. Intensive reading
Read the passage carefully again and answer some detailed questions on the screen.
1. How much does a whale eat at a time?
2. Do all the whales feed on small fish?
3. How deep can a sperm whale dive?
It is also called depth reading or study reading. It means reading for detailed information.
Purpose: Further understand the text （Train further reading ability） to find out some different sentences and details of the text.
Step 7. Preparation for details of the text on the screen
1. ...its heart slows to half its normal speed.
slow-v. to become / make slower.
2. ...using sound wave
Present participle used as adverbial.
3. provide sth. for sb.
provide sb. with sth.
4. at a time: each time
5. grow to a length of...
Purpose: Train the Ss’ ability of understanding and using laguage.
Step 8. Consolidation
1. Find out the topic sentences.
2. Retell the passage according to the topic sentences.
Purpose: I want to know if my students understand the whole text really and if they master what I mean to tell them in this class. What’s more, I want to let them have the ability of introducing and analyzing . At the same time, I will write down the topic sentences on the blackboard according to what the students find, so they can retell it easily.
Step 9. Discussion
Show them some pictures about the polluted sea and many living things which are in danger and ask them: What are their opinions about it? In order to let them have free choice, I give them another topic: The sea is being polluted. What should they do?
Purpose: I mean to give them emotional education. I give them multi-media pictures to arouse their interest of study and their love for life. I mean to make them realize: The sea is in danger!
I teach them to do their best to help it and do something from now on. Everyone should do something to love and protect our home.
Step 10. Homework
Write an article Saving the sea. I want to improve the ability of their writing. At the same time, train the ability of do-it-yourself and looking up the information by themseleves.
Part 4. Blackboard design